Over 200 Dagoreti High School students in Nairobi spent Wednesday night in the cold after fire destroyed a section of their dormitory.
The fire was reported to have started at around 8:45pm on the second floor of the dormitory when students were going on with their evening classes.
A teacher at the school said all students had been accounted for.
The burnt dormitory accommodates around 200 students while the school population is about 1,000 students.
Fire fighters from Nairobi City County managed to put off the fire after an hour battle with it.
However, several students lost their belonging as they could not get into the two storey building on time.
Dagoretti OCPD Rashid Mohammed said the cause of the fire was yet to be established but said they suspect an electric fault.
“We have not received any reports of injuries as the students were in their classes,” said Mr Mohamed.
And just after learning of the fire incident a number of parents turned up at the school to check on the status of their children but they could not be allowed to go home with their children.
Cases of fire incidents in schools have been on increase in recent weeks the most recent being in Kilifi County.
– Source – Nation